Barnstable Horace Mann Charter School
We will achieve this by:
a. Preparing students to meet rigorous academic standards and assessing their progress.
b. Helping students to achieve high standards of social and civic responsibility.
c. Involving parents in their child's educational program.
d. Engaging the community in lifelong learning and in the success of the school.
e. Using technology to enhance our instruction, management, and communication.
1. All students will master a common core curriculum needed to be successful in elementary school and beyond. Our students will have a standards-driven education, based on the Massachusetts State Frameworks, the Modern Red Schoolhouse design, and the Barnstable Public Schools Curriculum.
2. All of our students will learn and attain high standards in academic subjects although they may vary in their learning style and the time they need to learn. With this in mind, we will institute a summer school program, which will result in the creation of a 12-month school for both those students who need to master basic competencies or desire enrichment.
3. The progress of every student will be closely monitored using a technological database, Individual Learning Contracts, Stanford Achievement Testing, unit assessments, culminating activities, and MCAS Testing.
4. We will guide our students' moral character through the implementation of our Code of Conduct and a student ambassador program.
5. We will create a professional resource center and have ongoing professional development within the Modern Red Schoolhouse design. Teachers will have freedom to exercise their professional judgment in how they organize instruction, so that they might best meet their students' needs.
6. Parents and community members will be an integral part of our students' education. We will offer parent forums, parent information sessions on our curriculum, and expand Main Street Learning to recognize academic and social achievement.
7. Our school will have fiscal autonomy, which will provide us the freedom, flexibility, and opportunity to significantly impact the education of our students.
8. We will use advanced technology to enhance our teaching, communication, and assessment.
9. We will maintain established lines of communication with our seven feeding elementary schools and our middle school in order to offer a better educational program for our students. A student report will be developed focusing on the student's strengths and weaknesses.
10. We will provide a model to other public schools, proving that public education can ensure that children will acquire the knowledge and skills needed to become educated, responsible, and productive citizens.
purpose of the Barnstable
Our mission statement is simply written so that it can be easily understood and stated by our students, staff, and parents. It reinforces our goal of excellence in our school, in the home, and in our community.
mission of the
We utilize and incorporate the Barnstable Public Schools’ curriculum, the Massachusetts Department of Education Standards, and the Modern Red Schoolhouse to provide us with a model for a whole school design including curriculum and assessment, school organization, researched-based teaching practices, technology, a student Individual Learning Contract (ILC), and parent and community involvement.
The vision of our school is to provide an educational environment for a lifelong community of learners, designed to educate all people to reach their full potential and be able to master the skills, knowledge, and understandings needed to be successful in the 21st century. Our school operates as the social, educational, and human resource center for the entire community. It is designed to teach all the technological, social, and higher order thinking skills that will enable students to be productive individuals.
This is an environment where high expectations for all translates into a place where people learn to work together as critical thinkers and problem solvers, and where differences are respected and the community is enriched.
Our school is an exciting, challenging, and rewarding place to be. It is a place to not only create understanding but also to create the paradigms of the future.
Last updated January 14, 2010
The Barnstable Horace Mann Charter School